Thursday, December 14, 2017
  Submit



How Often Should I Clean My Carpet?

Carpet cleaning is best done on a regular basis. Other than for the obvious hygiene-related reasons, by keeping your carpet in good shape you will prolonging its life. Many of us aren’t aware that particles such as soil and debris left in carpets wear out the carpet fibers over time. Each time a person walks on it, the soil gets ground and rubbed into the fibers. This scratches and permanently thins out the pile, reducing its life and degrading its shape. Removing these particles frequently is  the key to saving your carpet and maintaining its beauty. They should not only be vacuumed regularly but be professionally cleaned by a carpet cleaner frequently as well.

The question is how frequent should carpet cleaning be done?

There is no simple answer when it comes to determining how often your carpets should be cleaned, but there are a few factors that impact how often carpet cleaning needs to be done. As a general rule of thumb, your carpets should be cleaned every 12 - 18 months, whether your carpet looks dirty or not.  This is what is recommended by most carpet manufacturers.  There also might be some circumstances in which you might have it done more often.

I may use the term ‘clean’ a little too loosely here but when I say ‘clean’ I mean professionally cleaned by a carpet cleaner. Ordinary vacuuming should be done on an as-needed basis or as often as possible. If you have a house full of kids, for instance, you might need to vacuum daily.  While vacuuming will remove around 70% of all the soil in the carpet at some point you will need to flush out the other 30%.

To protect your family and pets, the carpet cleaner should be visiting your home every year from the very beginning of its life. Yes, I know, even though it’s the family and pets that cause all the mess in the first place, everyone deserve a clean home.

So how often did you say?

Again, most carpet manufacturers recommend every 12 -18 months but no single answer applies. Several factors determine and impact how often your carpets need to be cleaned. If you have kids or pets (or both) in your home, then carpet cleaning needs to done more frequently. If you have a house full of smokers or high traffic, again, it needs to be done more frequently. If you host a lot of parties indoors, and are often left with food spills, then the carpet cleaning will need to be done more frequently.  I’m sure you get the idea by now. For those who insist on numbers, here is a general guideline:

A reminder though, that ordinary vacuuming should be done often and this will help lengthen the time in between cleanings. Of course, these are just general guidelines. It is important to keep a close eye on your carpets’ overall quality. Keep in mind, that carpet is designed to hide soil. So if your carpets are looking dark or dirty, call a carpet cleaning company that you trust. Your best bet is  to not let your carpets get to this point. When cleaned and maintained correctly, carpet life is drastically extended and you can keep it looking its best for years to come.

 

 

Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement
 
);